My parents have blackberries growing out in their yard, I took it upon myself to pick a big bowl of them they are perfectly ripe at the moment. When I finished picking them I knew I just had to make something out of them. At first I was thinking a cobbler but I settled on making a blackberry pie, it just sounded like a perfect summer treat
I have to admit this is the first time I have ever baked a pie. I love baking but have always been intimidated by making pie crust. To be truthful I wasn't sure how this was going to turn out, I forgot to roll out the pie crust on wax paper at first and when I went to transfer to the pie dish it completely fell apart. I really didn't want to fail at this, I had already told my family I was making a pie, they were expecting a pie. After some effort I was able to get the pie crust in, it might not have been the most beautiful pie, but it was certainly delicious and worth every bit of frustration. I received compliments from my whole family on this pie they loved it. This pie goes well with a side of good vanilla ice cream.
Summer Blackberry Pie
Pie Crust
-2 Cups Flour
-14 Tbsp. Shortening (Crisco)
-1 1/2 tsp. Sugar
-1 tsp. salt
-1 Egg
-1 1/2 tsp. Vinegar
-Ice water
Filling
-4 Cups Blackberries
-2/3 Cup Sugar
-Dash of salt
-1 Tbsp. Lemon Juice
-2 Tbsp. Flour
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sift in dry ingredients, into a large bowl. Cut in the Crisco slowly. In a clear measuring cup-beat egg, and add vinegar, than fill with ice water until reaches 1/4 cup. Slowly mix liquid in with dry ingredients with a fork.
Dough will be very hard to work with, separate into 2 dough balls, roll out immediately onto floured wax paper, to make it easy to transfer to pie dish. Place one rolled out pie crust into bottom of a 9 in. pie dish. For the filling add blackberries, sugar, salt, lemon juice, and flour to a bowl and mix together. Transfer filling to pie dish and cover with other pie crust. Bake for 50-60 minutes at 350 degrees.
No comments:
Post a Comment